HP’s new infrastructure management OneView is announced today. This is a very big announcement for HP.
It’s the next-generation HP management software to combine management of HP Proliant blade and rack servers. In near future, it’ll also provide HP storage(3PAR) and networking management.
In version 1.0, here are some key technical facts
- The management controller will be available to download as virtual appliance format in early Q4 2013
- The virtual appliance can manage up to 640 servers(or 40 c7000 enclosures)
- Rackmount Gen8 and Blade Gen8/G7 servers are supported but blade Gen8 will have full features supported while some of OneView features won’t be available on G7 blade servers. Some features doesn’t apply to rack Gen8 server in this version because rack servers don’t have virtual connect component(which is the key component to enable service mobility).
- Virtual Connect Flex-10/10D, Flexfabric, Flex-10 are supported. Virtual Connect Fibre channel module will be supported in future release. VC-1/10 module will NOT be supported.
- c7000 enclosure is supported. Not c3000 enclosure.
You can watch quick product demos and OneView marketing page here. There are 4 good technical demos after you click “Get An HP OneView Demo”.
Also, this is a video link showing how OneView is different than Cisco UCS in the way it operates.